At 08:39  29/4/01 +0200, Mauro Marinilli wrote:
>My name is Mauro Marinilli, a Java Developer currently working with JNLP,
>the new remote launching protocol from SUN.
>Said it briefly the protocol allows J2SE applications to be launched via a
>URL pointing to a special JNLP file (implemented as an XML file).
>The protocol is an HTTP (minimal) variation, and it needs some server-side
>support for advanced features, like differencing --i.e. downloading only the
>new classes in an already downloaded JAR file and not the whole JAR file
>again.
>I would like to work on the server-side implementation of this protocol for
>the Apache Web Server, implemented as a set of Java classes (mainly
>servlets).
>The effort shouldn't be that demanding (around 20 or so Java classes) and I
>have already implemented some pieces. The protocol is quite promising
>(despite is still in version 1.0.1 early access) and, anyway, sooner or
>later someone should implement it for the Apache Server.
>
>If you want to have a look, try at Sun's client reference implementation
>page:  http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/
>(For more info on me, try at http://www.marinilli.com )
>
>My questions are:
> - Is anybody interested in hosting this as a Commons subproject?
> - Otherwise what other options do I have?

It sounds an interesting project and useful ;) In commons there is two CVS
repos - one is for "ready-to-go" components and the other is a sandbox for
pre-release development and mucking about. I would love to see the product
developed in the sandbox and then when it is ready to go we could release
it to the world and also into commons - thoughts?

Cheers,

Pete