On Tue, 8 May 2001, Jerome Banks wrote:

> [snip]
>    Also, I don't quite understand why Cactus needs to be run inside a
> WebServer like
>    Tomcat. Why can't one create concrete representations of
> HttpServletRequest and
>   HttpServletResponse, and use that ??? Am I missing something ???

It's not just the request and response objects that matter.  Just to
continue using Struts as the example, it depends on a completely
functional implementation of the ServletConfig, ServletContext,
HttpSession, and RequestDispatcher APIs, plus a full implementation of JSP
pages (including custom tag support).  Pretty soon you end up writing
your very own servlet container .... it's better to reuse what is already
there.

>  thanks in advance ...
>    --- jerome

Craig