At 11:03 15.08.2001 -0700, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

>> This cripples the features of log4j, you can't use
>> anything that makes log4j
>> an amazing tool. It's like cutting log4j off at the
>> knees.
>>

>Well I don't know about that.  The Logging component
>supports the debug, info, warn, error, fatal,
>isDebugEnabled, and isInfoEnabled methods of the Log4J
>Category class, plus anything you can configure from
>the log4j.properties file (which is a lot).  I
>wouldn't be surprised if most folks use exactly that
>subset of Log4J.
>
>That's why I'm much more interested in consensus than
>anything.  Both tools do a good job of standard
>logging.  I'd settle for either.
>
>- Morgan

Hi Morgan,

I think the logging proposal nicely solves the log4j.jar dependency
problem. It also offers a simple logging interface but as you will
soon discover people will want more. They will say, log4j supports
Nested Diagnostic Contexts, your abstraction does not. Can you please add
that? Oh, by the way, I also like to have Mapped Diagnostic Contexts,
can you please add that to your abstraction? Sorry, but Mapped
Diagnostic Contexts require log4j version 1.2. What do you to then?

BTW, it is surprising to see logging getting so much attention...

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch