> I was raising concerns that *real* sysadms have. I don't know any sysadm
> who, free to choose his server operating system, would choose windosh.

I personally don't consider Windows to be robust and secure enough as a
server operating system.  But that is far from a universal view, and I don't
feel compelled to enforce my personal opinion by abandoning over 40% of my
community.  Is httpd deciding to drop support for Windows (rhetorical)?

> If you want James to be good-enough for the ASF (even if it doesn't get
> into production), forget your windows user base and target the real
> heavy duty servers.

I don't believe it necessary to architect or implement something that
excludes Windows in order to deliver a suitable product.

The internals of James models the desired architecture.  The issue
concerning you is that the current implementation does it in a single
process.  That is at least partially addressable with no change to the
architecture, minimal (if any) change to the implementation, and some
changes to configuration files.  Providing that configuration as an
alternative to a single JVM is certainly something we can take a close look
at offering.  There are good reasons for allowing the mail administrator to
choose (easy of use and reduced memory consumption vs robustness and
flexibility).

        --- Noel