Hello everyone! :)

I'd like to present my translations of the four phrases containing
"to" and "for", which I believe are more grammatically correct that
was presented before.

1. I will help you TO complete your homework.

 - Shukudai wo shiageru no wo tetsudaimasu.
 - Anata ga shukudai wo shiageru tame ni tetsudaimasu.

2. I will help you to become an expert in Japanese.

- Anata no nihongo ga jouzu ni naru tame ni tetsudaimasu.
- Anata no nihongo ga jouzu ni naru you ni tetsudaimasu.

3. Lots of money is needed for studying in Japan.

- Nihon de benkyou suru ni wa takusan okane ga hitsuyou desu.
- Nihon de benkyou suru no ni takusan okane ga hitsuyou desu.
- Nihon de benkyou suru tame ni takusan okane ga hitsuyou desu.

4. Effort is needed for achieving success.

- Seikou suru tame ni (wa) doryoku ga hitsuyou desu.
- Seikou suru ni wa doryoku ga hitsuyou desu.


As you can see, to express a purpose or a goal in Japanese "tame ni
(wa)", "you ni", "ni wa" and "no ni" are used. "Ni" particle by itself
cannot be used.
Probably none of the above Japanese translations fits perfectly into
the English sentences above, nevertheless the idea of each sentence is
conveyed well. "Tame ni", for example, means something like "so that /
in order to", so the meaning of the sentence "Anata ga shukudai wo
shiageru tame ni tetsudaimasu." is similar to "I will help you so that
you (can) finish your homework". On the other hand, "Shukudai wo
shiageru no wo tetsudaimasu." is probably closer to "I will help you
in finishing your homework." than to "I will help you to finish your
homework."

> Shukudai wo oeri ni tasukemasu.

This sentence is incorrect because the structure V(masu-stem) + ni can
be used to indicate the purpose only with verbs of motion (as in
tomodachi to asobi ni iku). Moreover, tasukeru (and tetsudau which I
would suggest here) are both used with "wo" particle rather than "ni".
That's why you'd have to say (sticking to your choice of verbs):

Shukudai wo oeru no wo tasukemasu.

"no" before "ni" changes the verb phrase "shukudai wo oeru" into a
noun (like adding -ing in English), which can subsequently be used as
an object of the verb tetsudau/tasukeru.

> Nihongo no EXPERT ni nari ni tasukemasu.

As before, tasukeru does not collocate with "ni", but with "wo". The
sentence should be more like this (though I would really change the
verb into tetsudau, since tasukeru means more help = rescue):

Nihongo no EXPERT ni naru no wo tasukemasu.


Well, that is it. 日本語の勉強を頑張ってください!

Maciek




> What are the possible ways to convey the meanings of 'to' and 'for' in
> the following instances?

> I will help you TO complete your homework
> I will help you TO become an expert in Japanese.

> Lot of money is needed FOR studying in Japan
> Effort is needed for achiving success.


 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to