--- In [email protected], "ai3131" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote:
>
> --- In [email protected], "sarutobi111" 
> <sarutobi111@> wrote:
> >
> 
> > Yes, it could.  But if it's in the stomach, maybe "i (no atari) 
ga 
> > kimochi waruku naru" is better.>
> 
> "I no atari" wouold mean "in my stomach"?

No, it means "around the stomach area".  People use the experssion 
when they are not sure it's in the stomach. 

 
> I remember someone 
> saying "atari" when confirming someone's answer to a question as 
> correct. Does "I no atari" mean "right in my stomach"?

The "atari" meaning "that's right" or "right on" is now considered 
to be a different word than the one meaning "around the area", 
though etymologically these two words has the same origin.

By the way, both "kibun ga waruku naru" and "kimochi ga waruku naru" 
suggest nausea, so if you don't want to mean that, maybe "(i no) 
guai ga waruku naru" is a better choice of wording.
 

> > The word is used as follows.
> > 
> > -Watashi wa gyuunyuu arerugii desu.
> > -Watashi wa gyuunyuu ni arerugii ga arimasu.
> > -Anata wa nani ka arerugii ga arimasu ka.>
> 
> Would "Donna arerugii ga arimasu ka" be correct as well? I think 
it's 
> the kind of question one would ask a person out of skepticism, 
rather 
> than out of curiosity. I have learned that context is just as 
> important as vocabulary and grammar.

That would be correct, but the question presupposes that the person 
has some kind of allegies.


> > The first one (harawata ga kusatta) is not used commonly (unless 
> you are talking about actual rotten guts of a fish or something). 
The 
> other two expressions are used, but I don't know if you'll ever 
have 
> a chance to use the last one.
> > 
> > Kamui>
> 
> According to the book I read, "Harawata ga kusatta" is a metaphor 
> meaning that someone is corrupt. "Oshoku" is the usual word for 
> corruption. I imagine it would be bad form to use the metaphor in 
> formal company, so would "oshoku suru" be a better alternative? 

Yes, the expression has a metaphorical meaning (i.e. rotten to the 
core), but it's seldom used in that sense.  I've never used it in my 
life and I don't think I've ever heard someone use it in real 
life.  "Oshoku" is a completely different word, meaning corruption 
among bureaucrats and politicians (e.g. taking bribe, embezzling, 
etc), and there's no verb form (in othre words, you can't 
say "oshoku suru"). 

 
> "Chimatsuri ni ageru" means to make a scapegoat of someone. Is 
this 
> one still being used, or has it been replaced in normal Japanese 
> speech? 

You are misinformed.  The expression means to "beat up someone until 
he/she bleeds all over".

 
> Another funny expression I read in Akiyama's book 
is "yakushazoroi", 
> meaning "full of actors and actresses", but means the same 
as "having 
> real pros", or people who are very good at what they do. However, 
in 
> current speech I have seen "puro" being used in place of that term 
to 
> refer to professionals.
> 
> Since Japan is a bit more "internationalized" these days, maybe 
that 
> the old metaphors, like the ones in Akiyama's "Japanese Idioms", 
have 
> largely fallen out of use and replaced by terms based on foreign 
> words. I often see English words being used a great deal in 
current 
> Japanese speech.
> 
> I have learned quite a few of these metaphors from the book. Is 
there 
> a chance that I will not be understood if I use them in 
conversation?
> 
> - Arian I.

Yes, there is a big chance that you'll get misunderstood if you use 
those idioms you learned from the book.  One reason is that some of 
them are really old-fashioned, almost archaic.  Another reason is 
that some of the explanations are either inappropriate or wrong.  
Since you seem to have far more than a basic knowledge of the 
Japanese language, why don't you forget about dictionaries and 
textbooks and expose yourself to "real" Japanese?  That way you'll 
learn a lot more than you get from books about Japeanese written in 
English.

Kamui



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to