After running for several hours, servicing thousands of requests, jserv
suddenly died with

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
     at java.lang.Thread.start(Native Method)
     at java.lang.Thread.start(Compiled Code)
     at org.apache.jserv.JServ.main(Compiled Code)

Of course, I understand that this means that jserv ran out of memory. But
why? And how can I avoid this?

"apachectl restart" resulted in

Apache JServ: Exception creating the server socket: java.net.BindException:
 Address already in use

So I had to stop it, pause, and then start it.

I am running

     Apache/1.3.4 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.0b3

uname -a
SunOS sundew 5.7 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

with Java 2 (aka java 2)

Another tiny query: what do the following message from jserv.log mean?

[05/03/1999 07:44:55:643] (INFO) Apache JServ Module was cleaned-up
(ap_child)
[05/03/1999 07:48:30:521] (INFO) Apache JServ Module was cleaned-up
(ap_child)
[05/03/1999 07:49:13:309] (INFO) Apache JServ Module was cleaned-up
(ap_child)

I just joined this list so please forgive me if this is a faq.

Regards

Tom Howland
PricewaterhouseCoopers, Global Technology Centre

You can view EdgarScan at http://edgarscan.tc.pw.com/EdgarScan/
computer.