I think my comment is being taken in a way that was not totally intended.

The "lazy" refers to the ability/desire of the 1.4 "users & developers" to
devote their resources to back-porting the code to the 2.0.X release. Rather
than having the 1.5 developers having to waste their time "thinking" in 1.4
when their work is predominately being performed using 1.5
features/compilers/tools. There is NOTHING stopping the 1.4 community from
doing this, except their "laziness" in wanting to (especially given their
common assessment that 1.5 is nothing more than syntactic sugar).

The "ill-informed " refers to the 1.4 community's inability to grasp that
they can continue to use the 2.0.X code base, and their lack of
understanding that for the code base to continue to improve, Lucene needs
access to the best developers and those with the most time to offer - not
make them jump through hoops by using a JDK that is being close to 2 major
releases old. Maybe "selfish" would have been a better choice.

The argument of not being able to move to 1.5 seems to hold little water. If
the users can't upgrade their OS, or hardware, etc. then they are most
likely in a fairly stagnant state anyway - why would they want to keep
updating their software?

It is easily conceivable that given inexpensive RAM, abundant disk space,
and/or CPU performance that a future version of Lucene might use completely
different persistence scheme (e.g. no compression, load the tables
completely into memory, etc.) that "older" machines cannot possibly work
with. Should Lucene be left behind because there are some users that can't
operate in that environment? NO. Let them stick with what has been working
for them, and let Lucene move forward.

You make reference to the apache libraries. I know that if I had to work on
a "actively developed" code set that used the apache commons collections -
rather than the JDK Collections - I'd go nuts - and I'm sure many (most?)
developers would feel the same. Why the 1.4 Lucene community fails to
understand this I don't know.