Robert Engels wrote:
I have another idea.

Why don't we just let the voted committers decide amongst themselves.

If push comes to shove, this decision will be made by consensus of the Lucene PMC. Any member of the PMC can veto any change to the code.

As a member of the PMC, I presently find the arguments of those who'd like to keep the Lucene core in 1.4 more compelling, although I don't know yet whether I'd use my veto power.

In the history of Lucene we've rarely had to even resort to voting to make code decisions, and I don't think anyone has ever vetoed anything. It would be best if we could come to an agreement here without alienating anyone and without resorting to vetoes.

For this to happen, we all need to try hard to understand the concerns of others. Some folks reasonably want to use the latest features of Lucene but also have constraints about what Java version their users can use. Developers whose users are not so constrained want to be able to use the latest features of Java. I think the inconvenience to the former (lack of user access to new Lucene features) affects more folks than that to the latter (lack of developer access to new Java features). In the end, we develop Lucene for users, no? We obviously can't always please all of them, but this isn't a user-versus-user issue, but rather a user-versus-developer issue, where we, the developers, have all the power. We have the power to be kind and thoughtful, or to be selfish.

Doug