To set the record straight, I think the Lucene product and community are
fantastic. Period.

I was also not the one who starting in with what could be termed
'aggressive' language.

Our company does not fully support 1.5. I was the loudest voice against the
move to 1.5.

After almost 2 years I now back the move. Why? Several reasons:

1. Sun is very slow, if at all to fix bugs in 1.4 (of which there are many).
For example, the current problems in Lucene regarding ThreadLocals. Although
this is not a bug per se, it is probably not intuitive or desired behavior.
The Lucene developers have been forced to both diagnose and create
workarounds "problems" already fixed in 1.5. The licensing of Java does not
allow for the easy fix bugs by non-Sun developers.
2. The type safe collections are far more efficient to program/debug with.
3. The standardized concurrent facilities can be of great benefit to
multithreaded programs.
4. It is what students graduating from college understand and use.
5. It is what the currently available books explain and use.

It just seems that many people believe that if there is ONE person (or a
minority) that can't switch, then Lucene cannot switch. It seems that Bob is
in this category of never being able to switch (I am fairly certain 1.5 will
probably never be released for OS 9) - does that mean that Lucene developers
can never use 1.5 features? What about the argument I made of using
alternative algorithms that may not be as useable on older, slower machines.

We have users that cannot upgrade to the latest release of our software
because of inadequate hardware (or unwillingness to change). They have 3
choices. Stick with the old, upgrade their machines, or move to a
competitor. The last of which we surely do not want, but that is their
choice. At the same time, if we did not continue to grow and evolve our
software, we would lose far more of our customers to competitors.

This is open-source software. A clear majority has voted. Why can't we
listen to them and move forward???