I think you misunderstood. If you do not have encrypted swap (like OSX provides for) then you encryption is pointless as anyone can inspect the data as it it loaded into the heap by lucene - bypassing the encryption.

I also think you underestimated the impact on the size of the indexes, as most secure encryption schemes are going to pad the payloads to a minimum of 128 bits, and usually much more.

This is going to make a HUGE difference in the size of the index.

On Dec 1, 2006, at 2:00 PM, negrinv wrote:

Good news for OSX users! but what about all the others, should I say the
majority??
One more reason for encrypting at field level.
Victor

Robert Engels wrote:

Not if running under OSX with encrypted swap turned on ! :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicolas Lalev�e <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Dec 1, 2006 4:49 AM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Attached proposed modifications to Lucene 2.0 to support
Field.Store.Encrypted

Le Vendredi 1 D�cembre 2006 11:10, negrinv a �crit�:
Nicolas Lalev�e-2 wrote:
Le Vendredi 1 D�cembre 2006 01:33, negrinv a �crit :
Thank you Robert for your commnets. I am inclined to agree with you,
but
would like to establish first of all if simplicity of implementation
is
the
overriding consideration. But before I dwell on that let me say that
have
discovered that I am not a master of DIFF file creation with Eclipse. The diff file attachement to my original posting is absurdly large
and
not correct. I have therefore attached a zip file containing the
complete source code of the classes I modified. I leave it to others
extract the
diffs properly.
Back to the issue. So far the implementation has not been difficult
considering that I knew nothing about Lucene internals before I
started.
The reason is that Lucene is very well structured and the changes
just
fitted nicely by adding some code in the right place with minimal
changes to the existing code. But I admit that the proposed
implementation so far is not complete and more work is required to overcome some of its restrictions. While I like your idea I believe
that
it imposed too large a
granularity on the encrypted data, all fields will all kinds of data will be encrypted including images and others which normally would
be
left alone, thus adding to the performance penalty due to encryption.

I don't agree with you here. In Lucene, you will encrypt the field
data,
the
field names, and the tokens : I would say that is represents at least
2/3
of
the index size. Then, with the implementation you suggest, I think
(sorry
didn't took time to see you patch) that every time a lucene data need
be
read, it is decrypted each time. With an encrypted FS, your kernel
will
maintain a cache in RAM for you, so it won't hurt so much.
It needs some bench to see what is effectively the best, but I have
doubt
that
your solution will be faster.

Nicolas.

Nicolas, I am all in favour of some tests to establish which solution is best, but I have to say that I don't believe file system or directory encryption in Lucene is really justified. Most operating system already
provide this feature, although they are system-wide or policy-based
solution, hence not always within individual user control.
But if the issue is user control, then I believe Lucene should provide
maximum granularity when it comes to choice of data to encrypt.
The issue I believe is whether some form of encryption should be
provided
within Lucene to enable application developers to create applications
which
offer some data protection under user control, with a minimum of impact, where by impact I mean both on peformance and workload either in Lucene
code or user code.

In fact you mean a user that has no control of it's machine, and that
cannot
encrypt his partition. Here you will have the issue with the swap : Lucene will decrypt the data in RAM, that can possibly pushed on the swap... I
know
this is extreme, but it's a security hole.

--
Nicolas LALEV�E
Solutions & Technologies

View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Attached- proposed-modifications-to-Lucene-2.0-to-support- Field.Store.Encrypted-tf2727614.html#a7645198 Sent from the Lucene - Java Developer mailing list archive at Nabble.com.