On 12/5/06, negrinv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chris Hostetter wrote:

> If the code was not already in the core, and someone asked about adding it
> I would argue against doing so on the grounds that some helpfull utility
> methods (possibly in a contrib) would be just as usefull, and would have
> no performance cost for people who don't care about compression.

Perhaps, if you look at compression on its own, but once you see compression
in the context of all the other field options it makes sense to have it
added to Lucene, it's about having everything in one place for ease of
implementation that offsets the performance issue, in my opinion.

Note that built-in compression is deprecated, for similar reasons as
are being given for the encrypted fields.

Finally a point about my code. I was unsuccessful in creating a diff file
because I was picking up all kind of formatting differences as well. If you
scan it quickly you will find that is really very simple and, at least in
its current limited implementation, hardly invasive of Lucene's core. All
the encryption routines are in a separate class which i placed in the
utility package.

You can produce diffs selectively if you can't eliminate the
whitespace incoherence:
svn diff path/to/dir1 changed/path2 ...

-MIke