Interesting discussion.

>>I think we should seriously look at joining efforts with open-source Database
>>engine projects

I posted some initial dabblings here with a couple of the databases on your
list :http://markmail.org/message/3bu5klzzc5i6uhl7 but this is not really a
scalable solution (which is what Jason and others need)

>>for example joins are not possible using SOLR).

It's largely *because* Lucene doesn't do joins that it can be made to scale
out. I've replaced two large-scale database systems this year with distributed
Lucene solutions because this scale-out architecture provided significantly
better performance. These were "semi-structured" systems too. Lucene's
comparitively simplistic data model/query model is both a weakness and a
strength in this regard.

Cheers,
Mark.