Hi Mike,

> This is great feedback on the new Collector API, Uwe.  Thanks!

- Likewise.

> It's awesome that you no longer have to warm your searchers... but be
> careful when a large segment merge commits.

I know this, but in our case (e.g. creating a IN-SQL list, collecting
measurement parameters from the documents) the warming is not really needed,
it would only be a problem if it is very often (the index is updated every
20 minutes) and it must reload the whole field cache (takes 3-5 seconds on
our machine). So a large merge taking 1-2 seconds for cache reloading is no
problem (the users have the same problem with sorted results). If our index
gets bigger, I will add warming in my search/cache implementation after
reopening, for that it would be nice, to have the list of reopened segments
(I think there was a issue about it, or is there an implementation?).
In our case, most time takes the query in the SQL data warehouse after it,
so 1 second additionally for building the SQL query is not much.

> Did you hit any snags/problems/etc. that we should fix before releasing
> 2.9?

Until now, I have not seen any further problems. What I have seen befor is
already implemented in Lucene with our active issue communication and all
these issues :-)

I still wait for the step towards moving trie (and also the new automaton
regex query) to core and the modularization (hopefully before 2.9, to not
create new APIs that change/deprecate later).

Uwe