On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Jacob Nikom wrote:

> With latest JDK1.2.2 I don't think you need CLASSPATH on Linux.
> If you want you can set it to JAVA_HOME/bin
> setenv CLASSPATH .:JAVA_HOME/bin
>
> Don't forget to set
> setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH .:/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/X11:/usr/local/lib

chances are a Linux newbie is using bash (default on GNU/Linux) :) The
short answer is CLASSPATH is pretty much deprecated in JDK 1.2 (the
JDK README briefly discusses this). And I'm pretty sure a more lengthy
discussion can be found on java.sun.com. This question is a FAQ, and with
sketchy details ("can't import any classes"), doesn't really belong on
this mailing list?