I'd actually be content to see more developers committing to
making sure their software runs on Free versions of Java.
Start with Kaffe ... and then give GCJ a real push!

(All I'll say about JCP 2.0 just now is that I really don't
see how it can support truly Open processes, given all the
NDAs and the legal agreements that assign IP to Sun.)

> Nice idea but for industry programmers this would only work
> if there was an adequate alternative available.   And if such
> were available, there would not be a need for the petition!

For many purposes, Kaffe works nicely.  (I don't think that's
as true for GCJ.)  And there are cleanroom JVMs from vendors
like IBM (VAME) that are alternatives -- though for all the
usual reasons, they aren't necessarily J2SE clones.

> The kaffe/gcj/classpath stuff is way behind sun java, and so is not
> an alternative.

It very much depends on what you're doing.  If for example you've
made a commitment not to adopt JDK 1.2 extensions until they're in
Free implementations of Java, there's not necessarily any trouble.

People ARE using Kaffe effectively today.  Though maybe not for the
things you happen to be doing ... in my case, I've made choices to
ensure that Free software _is_ an option.  That doesn't keep it from
working with Sun's JVMs.  And the alternative is to accept that it
only really works on Sun-approved hardware.

- Dave