Thanks for the responses.

I'll not bother with -O then!

I've given the profiler a go and I'm managing to understand parts of it. I've not
looked at the sun site but if there is comprehensive info on the site then I'll look
there as this probably isn't Linux specific any more.

By the way cpu:samples appears to work, cpu:times and cpu:old simply core dump almost
immediately. The debugger doesn't give any strack trace only that it occurred in
libjvm.so. However the output from samples appears useful enough for some analysis.

Rob