Calvin Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> We are coming to the end of a great year for Java on linux,
> hotspot has finally arrived on linux as well
> as the optional packages JMF and Java 3D, additional chipset
> ports, plugin support for mozilla and netscape to name a just
> few achievements.
>
> In moving forward I would be very interested in areas that
> you believe Blackdown and Sun should focus on, in particular
> what do you plan to use the linux port for, whether its as
> a development machine or rolling out into production. What
> would help you become more productive. Which bugs, like
> the international keyboard bug are causing problems for you.
>
> You can email me directly but if you have information that
> would be interesting to other developers, like adoption of
> linux at your company or school then maybe those could be
> sent to the alias as well
<snip>

Honestly.  I think that next year will be sink or swim for Java.  There are only
two paths that I see:

- - SUN tightens control or stagnates it (meaning Java still is a proprietary
  product of SUN)

- - SUN works with the community to ensure that Java is Free Software/Open
  Source.

If it is the former, Java is dead.  If it is the latter than the future is
bright!

It is time that SUN makes good with the early promises that they made the
community.  That is: Freedom from proprietary standards, WORA (Write Once Run
Anywhere), and standards.  Java has failed to deliver on any of this.  All we
are asking is that SUN helps Java (which I believe it wants to do) and deliver
on promises it has made.

You want feedback?  The feedback is work with the community or see projects like
the GNU Java Compiler take Java and make it an open standard without SUNs help.
I don't want to see this happen because cooperation is a Good Thing but I am
worried we are headed down that path. :(

Anyway... Software control == bad.  Open Standards == good.  Lets work towards
this :)

Kevin

- --
Kevin A. Burton ( [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
             Cell: 408-910-6145 URL: http://relativity.yi.org

The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers.

BATF counter-intelligence Ft. Bragg assassination Saddam Hussein munitions SEAL
Team 6 Uzi World Trade Center Khaddafi AK-47 DES Honduras NSA Noriega