On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Jason Gilbert wrote:

> 1) Issues with the rpm packages:
>    a) What's the deal w/ the name of the file and the package
> name not matching?
>       Annoying and not how every other rpm I've seen works.  I
> install package file
>       j2se-1.3-whatever.  Do a rpm -ql j2se to see what files are
> in it and find that
>       the package hasn't been installed.  Turns out the actual
> 'package' name is in
>       fact 'jdk'???
>    b) As a continuation of 'a', could we break those packages
> out?  Maybe 'j2se-jre' with
>       the actual runtime, 'j2se-jdk' with the devel stuff,
> 'j2se-demos' with the demos.
>    c) The dependencies are wrong for the package.  'grep' is
> required by .java_wrapper.
>       libX11 is required as well as libstdc++ (actually its
> libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2.
>       By the way, The correct libstdc++ requires compat-libstdc++
> on redhat 7.0.
>       Apparently the c++ thing only came into play with hotspot.

Yes.  If one is going to bother packaging an RPM, it should at least
check for dependancies.  Linux users are accustomed to this happening
automatically with rpm packages.

> 2) Sun is supposedlly set to adopt Gnome as the eventual default
> desktop for solaris.
>    How about getting rid of motif for the jdk AWT now?  At least
> for linux, but there's no
>    reason it wouldn't work for both.  Default to gtk+ for linux
> and the solaris default
>    can change whenever sun actually switches.  There are
> apparently solaris users that
>    run Gnome already who would probably also appreciate it.  I
> would say a Qt implementation
>    for the KDE people would be nice also.

Oh, please don't make java dependant upon gnome or kde only.  Make it
generic, please!!

I HATE Gnome.  I can't work with it 5 minutes without having something
dump core.  It's also a memory pig.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson