Mo DeJong wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
>
> > In at least a few instances that I know of, jikes produces slower code.
> > But I don't think javac is a really great optimizing compiler either.
>
> That does not matter. Java code should be optimized by
> the JIT not the Java compiler. On a pure interpreted JVM
> it might matter a bit, but who uses those these days?
> Besides, you could just switch to javac when you compile
> the final executable, if it mattered.
>
> > There is at least one bug that causes jikes to crash where javac
> > compiles the code.  Don't remember exactly what it was, I think it was
> > something like private inner classes.  I just made them non-private and
> > they compiled fine.
>
> That is a known bug, it is covered by this Jacks regression test:
>
> 8.8.5.1-accessible-explicit-super-invocation-args-3
>
> class T8851aesia3_super {
>     private T8851aesia3_super(int i) {}
>
>     static class T8851aesia3 extends T8851aesia3_super {
>         T8851aesia3() { super(1); }
>     }
> }
>
> It should be fixed in the 1.13 release.
>
> There are also cases where javac compiles your
> code even though it is not legal. For example:
>
> class T8851mti2 {
> T8851mti2() { this(0); }
> T8851mti2(int i) { this(); }
> }
>
> Jikes correctly prints an error in this
> case, since the function would loop forever.
>
> Javac does not.

so if it's time to send another bug report of jikes (or javac or there
is no standard way?)
the static inicializer:
------------
static
{
//...
}
------------
with jikes compiles as final (if you look into the bytecode):
static final {}
while with sun's javac
static {}
one can think it's not realy a matter, BUT when you generate the
serialVersionUID with jdk 1.3 (jdk 1.1 it ok) gives different number !!!
so if you compile the same code sometimes with jikes and on another site
with javac and try to use them (eg RMI which serialize the object)
than the same object seems different (since the serialversions are
different)!
and it's realy hard to find;-(((

 -- Levente                        http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html
 "The only thing worse than not knowing the truth is
  ruining the bliss of ignorance."