I think this is just passing the buck. Javac should do its 'optimizations' (
whatever they may be )  irrespective of the fact that a JIT might be there (
or any other accellerator/translator ). Nor is there any guarantee that a
JIT will optimize anything in its translations.

Mo DeJong wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
>
> > In at least a few instances that I know of, jikes produces slower code.
> > But I don't think javac is a really great optimizing compiler either.
>
> That does not matter. Java code should be optimized by
> the JIT not the Java compiler. On a pure interpreted JVM
> it might matter a bit, but who uses those these days?
èPÔ” ‘ ™¨¥¶ˆÚ½©bžìkz«ž²ØÚ½¦åiÉ£    è®
"¶¬¹¸ÞrÚº{.nÇ+‰·“®‹›•à¨žÖœ¶F«•¹ZrGhÂz+