Mo DeJong wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
>
> > In at least a few instances that I know of, jikes produces slower code.
> > But I don't think javac is a really great optimizing compiler either.
>
> That does not matter. Java code should be optimized by
> the JIT not the Java compiler. On a pure interpreted JVM
> it might matter a bit, but who uses those these days?

I used to believe that until I tried, some months back, a side-by-side
comparison of some benchmark code compiled by the old Blackdown JDK1.2.2
javac and a Sun-supplied javac on Solaris. On the same JVM, the code
generated by the Sun compiler ran faster and utilized multi-threading well
while the code generated by the Blackdown compiler kept just one CPU busy.
I was told (by Sun) that the Blackdown JDK1.2.2 javac was based on an
ancient Sun snapshot - which was the closest I ever got to an explanation of
results that were, to say the least, wildly counterintuitive.

Nathan