Juergen Kreileder wrote:

>     Nathan> I used to believe that until I tried, some months back, a
>     Nathan> side-by-side comparison of some benchmark code compiled by
>     Nathan> the old Blackdown JDK1.2.2 javac and a Sun-supplied javac
>     Nathan> on Solaris. On the same JVM, the code generated by the Sun
>     Nathan> compiler ran faster and utilized multi-threading well
>     Nathan> while the code generated by the Blackdown compiler kept
>     Nathan> just one CPU busy.
>
> That's strange.  Did you compare the generated code?  I bet it was more
> or less the same.

You won't get any argument from me that the results make little sense. At
the time of the test, I was comparing commercial Java platforms, not
compilers: building the test with two different compilers was a chance
occurrence and the observation of a difference was a total surprise.
I didn't delve into the code itself (compiler behavior wasn't relevant to
my inquiries), and I haven't since revisited the problem with more recent
compilers.

>     Nathan> I was told (by Sun) that the Blackdown JDK1.2.2 javac was
>     Nathan> based on an ancient Sun snapshot
>
> Huh?  Javac is written in Java: our 1.2.2-javac is the same as Sun's
> javac in their 1.2.2.

Wasn't there considerably less coordination with Sun in the 1.2.2 days
than there is now?

Nathan