Glenn Holmer wrote:
Gerald Bauer wrote:

  Tom writes:

 Sun invariably says that they can't think of what
problems open source Java would solve that aren't
already solved. Of course that's ridiculous.

Why?

It is
pretty hard for Linux vendors to ship a working JRE on
their platform if they make any sort of changes at all

Well, that's the idea, isn't it?  Java is certified by Sun
to run the same on every platform it's licensed for, and
as a programmer who's been developing with Java for six
years, I depend on that.  Open-source it and it'll fork.

OTOH it is really annoying when I find a simple bug in javamail that could by fixed with two lines of code, but not be able to get a fix until the next annual official release.

Why would you assume that open source developers will fork it in a way that breaks compatibility? Why do you think they'd want to do that?