The easiest way is to split index by Document. In Lucene, index contains Document and inverse index of Term. If you wont to put Term in different place, Document will be duplicated on each index, with only a part of their Term.

How will you manage node failure in your network?

They were some trial to build big p2p search engine to compet with Google, but, it will be easier to split by Document.

If you have to many computers and want to see them working together, why don't use Nutch with Hadoop?

M.