Hi,

I agree with your point that it is easier to partition index by document.
But the partition-by-keyword approach has much greater scalability over the
partition-by-document approach. Each query involves communicating with
constant number of nodes; while partition-by-doc requires spreading the
query a long all or many of the nodes. And I am actually doing some small
research on this. By the way, the documents to be indexed are not
necessarily web pages. They are mostly files stored on each node's file
system.

Node failures are also handled by replicas. The index for each term will be
replicated on multiple nodes, whose nodeIDs are near to each other. This
mechanism is handled by the underlying DHT system.

So any idea how can partition index by keyword in lucene? Thanks.