Michael McCandless wrote:

But: it's slow to load a field for the first time. LUCENE-1231 (column-stride fields) aims to greatly speed up the load time.
Test it out though. In some recent testing I was doing it was *way* faster than I thought it would be based on what I had been reading. Of course if every term is unique, its going to be worse, but even with like 10 mil docs and a few hundred thousand uniques, either I was doing something wrong, or even on my 4200rpm laptop hd, it loaded like nothing (of course even a second load and then a search is much slower than just a warmed search though). Was hoping to see some advantage with a payload implementation with LUCENE-831, but really didn't seem to...

It's also memory-consuming.

Finally, you might want to instead look at Solr, which provides facet counting out of the box, rather than roll your own...

Mike