On Nov 10, 2008, at 2:42 PM, Stefan Trcek wrote:
On Monday 10 November 2008 13:55:31 Michael McCandless wrote:

Finally, you might want to instead look at Solr, which provides facet
counting out of the box, rather than roll your own...

Doooh - new api, but it's facet counting sounds good.

Any starting points for moving from plain lucene to Solr in a smooth
way? I doubt whether it is possible to integrate the facet counting
part of Solr into my plain lucene application?

The integration won't be too painful... the main thing is that Solr requires* some configuration files, literally on the filesystem, in order to fire up and be happy. And you'll need to craft Solr's schema.xml to jive with how you indexed with pure Lucene.

For searching: Do I have to have a Solr server (servlet engine) running
or will EmbeddedSolrServer and SolrQuery do the job?

That'll do the job, without a servlet engine. But a servlet engine can be mighty handy when you need to go to distributed search, replication, etc. But one can use Solr very much like using Lucene, API-only (but with config files).

For indexing: Can I use a ready to use lucene index in Solr?

Yup, see above.

        Erik