Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah wrote:

When is Lucene 2.9 due? I am eagerly waiting for the new lucene to come.

There have been some discussions on java-dev, but there's no clear consensus/date yet. We do have quite a few Jira issues marked as 2.9 at this point, which we need to make progress on or push out:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310110&fixfor=12312682

As I compared Lucene with Minion I think Minion offers very rich capabilities like easier range query etc.

Can you provide some detail on what's different about range queries, or any other differences? Is it the lack of numeric operators (<, <=, >, >=, !=) via QueryParser? Minion definitely looks like a neat search engine.

Is there any plans to have simpler queries for Numbers and Data?

With the recent addition of TrieRangeQuery (in 2.9), I think Lucene's range querying is actually very strong, though you'd have to subclass QueryParser and override getRangeQuery to have it create TrieRangeQuery.

Mike