mark harwood wrote:

Time for some standardised index metadata?

OK, thinking out loud...

What if we created IntField, subclassing Field.  It holds a single
int, and you can add it to Document just like any other field.

Once added, something inside the index (a "write once" schema) records
that this field is an IntField and then it's an error to ever use a
different type field by that same name.

This field would have int(number)-specific options, with good
defaults.  So eg one option would turn on Trie* indexing (would
default to on).  You could set zero padding, etc.

(And ShortField, LongField, FloatField, DoubleField, etc.; they could
all inherit from NumericField)

Couldn't we do this incrementally today?  It should be fully
back-compatible...

Mike