Not sure if this applies here, but that tends to happen when the analyzer you use for indexing is different from the one used in Luke or you're running into character set issues. Are you using the StandardAnalyzer in both cases?

Also, could you post an example of the query you are trying? There are some very smart people who check this list and they may be able to help you if they had a "sample" of your index, i.e., create a 10- document index and make it available for download so people can look at it for you?

-h