Hi Huang,

   The latest v1.3 beta1 of Java3D using DirectX 8.0 API but
the previous version v1.2.1 using DirectX 7.0 API instead.
We also found that under some graphics card (in particular
neomagic card for laptop) the display mode that use to
work for 3D is no longer working under DirectX 8.0.

You should get the same result by running some samples 3D
program after installing DirectX 8.0 SDK (without using
Java3D). To solve this limitation of DirectX 8.0 you can
either switch to another display mode or install
the OpenGL version for Java3D.

Thanks

- Kelvin
-------------------
Java 3D Team
Sun Microsystems Inc.

>Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:18:05 +0800
>From: Huang zhi xing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [JAVA3D]
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>I download the jdk1.4 and java3d  and microsoft directx8.1 and installed it on
my dell Latitude computer.

>Unfortunately, java3d reported "No compatible device found, please switch to
other display mode and try again". But before I update the software,java3d
applet can run correctly.(now other java program can run correctly)