As many of you know, I've been involved with Java3D for a very long
period of time. This has given me, and consequently my company (we' a
small contracting shop) access to many different people within Sun.
Right now, we find ourselves in an interesting position with regards to
the whole Java and 3D graphics community. There will be more
announcements and so forth over the next week or two, but now I have a
specific request of the Java3D community to provide us with feedback,
that we can then pass on, and hopefully help make a difference.

Let's start with the assumption that Sun is no longer, and will never be supporting Java3D. There is a body of code lying dormant inside Sun. Now, look to the future.

What I am seeking is as many responses as possible from everyone here,
either private or public about what your future holds either definitely
or as a wish list, with respect to Java3D. Both positive and negative
comments are encouraged. I specifically looking for answers on what you
would prefer to happen. Here are some different responses that I'm
thinking people could give:

- Java3D is not useful in any way to my projects. I've left it for
something else (eg Xith3D or LWJGL because you are gaming oriented).
Better off to leave it to wither on the vine.

- It's a good thing and I use it in many of my projects. If someone was
out there actively supporting it, we would continue to use it. I don't
really care what the codebase is doing, so long as it is actively being
developed.

- Chunks of Java3D are of particular interest to me. It would be really
good if I could have parts X, Y and Z were released as open source.

- I'd like Java3D to be completely open sourced so that I can take it
and support/develop it myself. I'm not really interested in long term
someone else support, but with the source code available, my own
projects can continue to move forward.

- I'd like Java3D to be completely open sourced, but really I want
someone to be a steward of the codebase to make sure that there is a
central "reference" implementation to work with. Alternatively, we could
pay someone else to do the maintenance on it. I'd like to recommend that
you consider ABC Company/Consortium be given the code to work with.

- If I had access to the source, I'd like to help develop it further
along the direction of product market LMN (eg CAD-specific or SciViz).

- It's of mild interest to me. I was planning on moving off it, but if
it was open sourced, then we would hang around and continue to use it.

- Having the code there as a reference would be really useful to me. I
already have plans to build my own scene graph/rendering engine, and
don't really plan to use Java3D code directly, but knowing some of the
design decisions would be really handy.

I'd appreciate it if in your response you could give some small background of the type of projects you are using it for. For example - a university, so it is being used as a teach tool or visualisation engine for experimentation.

Note that myself and Yumetech are not wanting to use this information to
market to you or anything like that. We're in a position to provide a
case to Sun about what to do with their code. We're basically going to
package up the replies, put a summary on it about the general mood
expressed and then chat about the results with the appropriate people in
Sun. Sun is a big an varied company, with not all parts marching to the
same tune. They're interesting in working out what the current business
cases are surrounding Java3D. They are certainly not even remotely
considering Sun putting any engineering resources into continuing Java3D
development, but they are looking at whether it is worthwhile helping
others to do so. We're certainly not looking for a specific response
like "please open source it" - if the majority of people really couldn't
care less about Java3D, then we'll pass that along too.

Please feel free to pass this message along to anyone that you feel may
want to respond - particularly if you know of people that have already
moved away from Java3D and are no longer on this list. I'll be posting
this to the javagaming site later this evening.

--
Justin Couch                         http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
Java Architect & Bit Twiddler              http://www.yumetech.com/