> I have not seen this to be a problem with OpenGL.  All windows boxes for
> the last 3-4 years have had good OpenGL drivers, even the laptops.  What
> windows boxes have you seen that don't come with openGL drivers installed?

The problem seems to be widespread as far as I can tell; but that's not very
helpful so I'll give a concrete example:  the ATI Rage Pro.  Using the included
Microsoft-supplied drivers, performance is awful (there appears to be no hardware
acceleration).
However, if you install ATI's "alternate driver" from their website, performance seems
pretty good.

I checked ATI's website, and for every release of Windows, it states: "The RAGE PRO
driver included
with Windows [whatever] does NOT support OpenGL."  Same message is given for their
other
cards, if Windows shipped with drivers for them.

It's happened with other cards too, which is why (unfortunately), it seems like
Direct3D support is
a must.  Hence I'm curious as to whether the (hopeful) release of Java3D this month
will finally
remedy the deployment situation.