Lars,

I too find it difficult to believe a "ban" could effectively be
implemented.  It's very easy to burn 4.7 Gig of data on a DVD and
transport that... no high tech spy work needed!

As with many things the "cure" is often worse than the "problem".  Those
of us that are legal Java developers suffer needlessly in a pitiful
attempt to make it more difficult for the "evil people" to obtain a bit
of technology.

- John Wright
Starfire Research

Lars van Gemerden wrote:

So what will happen with this ban when java3D becomes open source? Or might
this be a showstopper? Anyway, what are the chances that this ban will stop
anything from entering a "banned" country? It seems that all an organisation
in a "banned" country needs is a proxyserver in a non-banned country to
circumvent the reverse DNS or other IP-based check.

Beside the point: I remember that there was a similar ban on the export of
encryption software (actually more complicated, because it depended on
country, type of company to use the software, algorithm, keylength). The
administration became huge. However the algorithms could be exported in book
form ... Some European and Israeli companies cashed in nicely on that. At
some point the ban was dropped.

Cheers,

Lars

PS: these user installation issues were the reason I dropped my last
project.