On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 22:48:13 GMT, Damon Nguyen <dngu...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/jdk.jdi/share/classes/com/sun/tools/example/debug/tty/TTYResources_de.java
>>  line 325:
>>
>>> 323:         {"Unexpected event type", "Unerwarteter Ereignistyp: {0}"},
>>> 324:         {"unknown", "unbekannt"},
>>> 325:         {"Unmonitoring", "Monitoring von {0} aufheben"},
>>
>> The English entry is:
>>
>>         {"Unmonitoring", "Unmonitoring {0} "},
>>
>> But the German entry now says "Monitoring". I'm  sure what the original
>> "\u00DCberwachung" translates to, other than berwachung is monitoring. Now
>> this resource is partly in English, and is the incorrect English.
>
> I don't know German, but when plugging `"Monitoring von {0} aufheben"` into
> google translate, I get `Unmonitoring` as well. Maybe `Monitoring` is a word
> that could also be used in German? No clue. The translation tool decided to
> make this change.
>
> @sormuras do you have any input on this?

It's correct.

The "Un" of "Unmonitoring" is moved to the associated verb in German:
"aufheben". which in this context translates to "cancel" or "revoke". This
seems to be one of the few cases where there's no commonly used single word in
German for "Unmonitoring".

> Now this resource is partly in English, and is the incorrect English.

That's how Tech-German often works - take a word from English and use it as-is,
sometimes missing the original meaning. Such words or phrases are then referred
to as: Denglisch.

In this case "Überwachung" was German, "Monitoring" is Denglisch. I'd revert
that to `\u00DCberwachung` - but both are okay.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19609#discussion_r1634236406