From: Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
To: javaposse@googlegroups.com
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:27:56 AM
Subject: [The Java Posse] Google - missing the point?

I concur with Dick in one respect here:

Google seems to be working really hard to use Java to author
client software while avoiding actually using it on the client -- at
least with GWT.

While GWT is really cool for those who want to write Java, not
JavaScript, it is essentially a giant workaround.  The real solution is
better Java Plug-In penetration and just using it.  Java 6 Update 10
and later are actually rather good.

GWT predates Java 6 Update 10 and I can understand that even now Google
may feel the Plug-In is not a feasible alternative (i.e. that they
really can't help drive this into clients despite Chrome, etc).  I do
sometimes wonder whether Google even wants Java on the client
-- as they have more influence and traction in the [D]HTML space.  In
any event, I believe Google could expend a little of their
influence to help Java (and JavaFX) become a real force on the client
-- but they clearly have chosen not to attempt that.

Then there's Android.  I have to really applaud Google here in one
respect -- Java ME is a throwback to ancient Java history and is just
begging to be by-passed.  Specifically, there's no support for Java 5
language features in ME and no plans whatsoever to add these!  On the
other hand, Google went a lot further to develop their own set of
client libraries rather than using any existing client libraries -- and
thus is creating another splinter UI platform space like SWT did before
it.

--
Jess Holle