> While GWT is really cool for those who want to write Java, not
> JavaScript, it is essentially a giant workaround.  The real solution is
> better Java Plug-In penetration and just using it.  Java 6 Update 10 and
> later are actually rather good.
>
> GWT predates Java 6 Update 10 and I can understand that even now Google
> may feel the Plug-In is not a feasible alternative (i.e. that they
> really can't help drive this into clients despite Chrome, etc).  I do
> sometimes wonder whether Google even /wants/ Java on the client -- as
> they have more influence and traction in the [D]HTML space.  In any
> event, I believe Google /could /expend a little of their influence to
> help Java (and JavaFX) become a real force on the client -- but they
> clearly have chosen not to attempt that.
I think the main reason is what Carl said. With HTML 5 Google is able
to drive the standard. With JavaFX/Applet/JavaPlugin this isn't the
case. Flash the same. The web standards has served Google good in the
past and I think this will be able to serve Google good in the future.
I also think it is important to get momentum behind HTML 5 and Google
is probably pushing it to avoid having developers turning to Flash/
JavaFX/Silverlight as a solution for their highly interactive content.
I consider this a good thing.

------- Trond