I like Mr. Wall w/o the filters, and listening to this episode has
finally got me around to getting this off of my chest.  Maybe the rest
of the world will curse him for winding me up, but I'd like to say
thanks.

What I find disturbing is the fracturing of the Java runtime and
language features.  Some features and runtime classes aren't available
when its compiled down to Javascript.  A disjoint set of things is
unavailable in Android, and yet another different set of things is not
available in the app engine.

The Dalvik (sp?) VM, "Its Java source code that compiles down to a
load of horse manure wrapped in legalese."  e.g. I have my nice JavaFX
binaries.  They even ran in the outdated 1.5 JVM on my mac.  Can I pop
it on my G1 and see how it looks there?  No.

Yes, I am oversimplifying it.  For example, I couldn't just pop them
onto a Linux box and expect them to work until a few weeks ago,
however, most of it did work, so the option existed.  A few months ago
I had to "port" a medium sized swing application to Linux.  I unzipped
the jars, changed some paths in the property file, zipped them back up
again and it ran perfectly.  These are examples what makes the Java
platform so great, and this is what Google wants you to forget about
and lock you in to their tools and their services.

The app engine is probably the worst, because its really nothing more
than a thinly veiled attempt at vendor lock-in.  Correct me if I'm
wrong, the example that I recall is ImageIO.  The libraries do not
exist in the GAE environment, but Google does have their own handy
APIs to do what you need.  Run away.

Will I ever need something like Google App Engine?  Maybe, maybe not.
I think though that if I did, I'd give serious consideration into
doing the extra work that it would require to make it run in an
environment that didn't lock me in (e.g. Amazon's EC2).  Especially if
I were one of those small companies starting something new.  If you
outsource for your technical talent and depend on Google's proprietary
API's in GAE, then Google will have a huge advantage over you if they
change their terms.  You never want a vendor to have that sort of
advantage over you.