I actually have a few things installed on my E65, although the only J2ME
app I currently use is "5ud0ku" :-)

And to support your point:
- I would not consider myself an average user
- my next phone is certainly not going to be Nokia or Symbian-based

I have used a few things on the phone over the years, from web-browsing
(including the J2ME version of Opera), via instant messaging to podcast
listening. The latter was actually a major driver in picking the phone
(cheapest option for something with WLAN and audio playback), and the
podcast app by Nokia is actually comparatively good (meaning: I wouldn't
fail a student if they would deliver that, as opposed to most of the
other things on the phone). And I still use the phone for the podcast
(not for web or IM anymore).

So I am one of those people who actually used J2ME applications. But I
would not appreciate anyone targeting my current setup as a market, it
certainly seems wasteful and I'm just waiting for my current contract to
expire (I believe I have two more months to go).

  Peter