From: Fabrizio Giudici <fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it>
To: javaposse@googlegroups.com
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:40:22 AM
Subject: [The Java Posse] Re: c# Better Language Than Java?

Casper Bang wrote:
> Nah, Martin Odersky was still dabbling on Pizza (predecessor to Java
> with generics) by the time most of the C# stuff was being thought
> out. ;) I realize people consider Scala a contender to the next-gen

I wasn't serious :-) this thread seems to have a high degree of humor.
> language but I honestly can't see your average corporate developer use
> it, it's just too different.

Well, I agree, indeed. I think Scala is the best new language in the
Java ecosystem, and it has got all the new stuff of modern languages,
but I don't see it in the average corporate. To me, the successor of
Java-the-language has still to be born. Which raises a serious question,
BTW: we're saying that C# and Scala have got the same stuff (roughly),
that C# is more modern than Java and thus it's more appreciated by some
developers. Still, we perceive that Scala is too different to be widely
accepted. So, why a pumped-up Java should be accepted? Of course we
could think of an implementation of new stuff with a more "conservative"
fashion, but would it really be possible? And would it be really an
acceptable engineering trade-off?

>From my point of view, the answer is negative: I don't see any
acceptable trade-off happening in Java. And I see Scala as too exotic;
that's why I expect a genius strike from somebody else, as the killer
idea will be a new language which has got modern features, it's catchy
as Java was in 1996 _and_ has got some continuity with the present. BTW,
I don't know if this stuff is even possible - I hope so.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."