Yes, I think this acquisition is clearly related to HTML5's video and
audio tags, the inability of mostly apple to get their shit together
in regards to Theora.

The problem is: One of apple's complaints is actually a fair point: On
mobile devices, theora sucks, bad. This isn't Xiph's fault at all -
they've put in a lot of effort to steer clear of patents, even the
crazy/ridiculous ones, which makes apple's second complaint (afraid of
submarine patents) such an insult when they list is together with the
performance issue. The performance is bad on mobile devices BECAUSE of
panicky jackasses like you, apple!

In my book it might have been more efficient to buy up some of the
involved patents, give em to xiph, and sign a protection racket of
sorts that google will bring its patent portfolio to bear on any
company that attempts to assault ogg, vorbis, or theora with a patent.
I'm guessing that you can't do that without running foul of some laws,
though. Acquiring On2 (who built the codec that has formed the basis
of OggTheora!) is the next best thing to acquiring xiph, which isn't
possible. It's a loose foss group. It's like buying linux - can't be
done.

Of course, if google did prop up Theora's patent protection by way of
Gathering a bunch under the On2 banner and officially handing them
over to the public domain, and they put the On2 crew on making a good
hardware solution to playing Theora videos (which, again, is tech that
the On2 crew is very familiar with), there's still some politics to
clear.

If I were in google's shoes and I wanted to kill my flash dependency
in the browser we released (Chrome), as well as the OS we are
currently making (Chrome OS), as well as a major website we run
(youtube), this is a no-brainer. People who know the codec(s) in
question to solve the speed issue, as well as a strategic front for
patent wars - both to acquire a bunch, as well as to have an open book
into a good source of potential prior art.