On Sep 9, 5:27 pm, Reinier Zwitserloot <reini...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a line from my code:
>
> for ( int y = 0 ; x < lines ; y++ ) for ( int x = 0 ; x < columns ; x+
> + ) sum += cells[y][x];

I guess that's where we disagree.

for (int y = 0; y < lines; y++) {
    for (int x = 0; x < columns; x++) {
        sum += cells[y][x];
    }
}

is IMHO better because:
(a) I can see immediately that I'm dealing with a nested construct
here, and that's it's O(n^2)
(b) I can more easily set breakpoints on individual statements of this
code while debugging - and similarly other "line oriented" operations
(like quickfixes etc) get more cluttery when it's all on one line.
Profiling data / statement counts / code coverage highlighting for the
line is also trickier when you mash multiple statements into one line.
(c) I think it's less likely that I would have made the "x < lines"
error that was in your code when typing it this way because the
handling of y and x were done separately on separate lines (though
this is a bit speculative)
(d) I removed your spaces inside the parentheses, because they are
Bad! Bad!

(Ok c and d are padding)

I am -not- looking to minimize the number of lines needed to express
code.  If I wanted that, I'd be coding in Perl.  I deliberately add
newlines to make the code more airy and to group logical operations
together. I always insert a newline before the final return-statement
from a function etc.

I think the extra vertical space you've gained, which arguably could
help you orient yourself in your code by showing more of the
surrounding context, is lost because the code itself is denser and
more difficult to visually scan.

Oh no, a formatting flamewar -- what have I gotten myself into?

-- Tor

P.S. No tabs!