I really don't think anybody here is seriously trying to argue the
case that the BGGA proposal was a complete no-brainer.

The problem of an entirely different nature: A proposal with the
effort and momentum of BGGA was simply not reacted on by sun. Sure, a
blog here, a blog there, but nothing official, for a very long time.
The few official words uttered were lackluster.

I'm not happy about it, but if sun wants to take it that slowly,
that's their prerogative. Where I take exception, is when Joe Darcy
complains about lack of community input. I call truth distortion: Of
course there's no community input. You killed it. Communities don't
just magically show up on your doorstep. They grow. And to grow, you
need to nurture them. For what its worth, project coin is heading the
right direction. Even replying to the java posse and to project
lombok, is heading in the right direction. Finally opening up a bit
about the module system, is sort of heading in the right direction,
but if there's one complaint the OSGi fanclub is right about (and it
would certainly be the only complaint they're right about), is that
the technical documentation is a bit scarce.

But this is not nearly good enough to rekindle the community that got
killed off when BGGA was left to go out with a whimper.