On Sep 14, 4:30 pm, jddarcy <jdda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In contrast to this productive discourse, take the brouhaha over not
> including multi-catch in the Coin final five left in comments on my
> blog. [3]  My message announcing the final five makes clear that this
> decision was made based on resourcing concerns rather than the merits
> of the idea itself.  Not one of the people leaving comments full of
> wailing and gnashing of teeth about the omission offered to do
> anything to help implement the feature.

I did provide a working prototype of multi-catch in the BGGA compiler
more than a year before the Coin call for proposals, and I
communicated directly to you (Joe) my willingness to complete the work
for project Coin (i.e. implement the feature in isolation) if it was a
feature you were interested in having.  As I understand your comments,
it wasn't the compiler implementation you were mainly worried about.
You were worried about the specification work in the type system.
However, quoting from the proposal:

"To avoid the need to add support for general disjunctive types, but
leaving open the possibility of a future extension along these lines,
a catch parameter whose type has more than one disjunct is required to
be declared final."

In short, I don't believe the proposal has any impact on the type
system.

Cheers,
Neal Gafter