Oh, I'm sure it's difficult. None of that changes the fact that we're
all perfectly capable of judging new language features with:

 - a readable description that is NOT up to JLS standard.
 - a thorough pros and cons list
 - plenty of 'real life' examples, preferably not constructed just to
highlight the feature, but created by taking existing code and
refactoring it to the hypothetical new feature
 - (optional, at least at first) some analysis on how to feasibly
extend the grammar to accommodate the feature without changing javac's
parser architecture

compared to:

 - a JLS patch
 - a prototype

I'd argue the first list is actually quite a bit more useful. And far
less effort to create. I'm also not hearing you say that sun engineers
themselves write up JLS chapter and verse BEFORE doing any of the
other, dare I say, far more interesting work (even if it is hard
work). There's also got to be a certain amount of stewardship on sun's
part - nobody outside of the core contributors are really capable of
making the kinds of decisions you're talking about (withholding one
bug fix to avoid breaking backwards compatibility).