I just don't get the use case for JavaFX. We keep hearing that it's a
DSL for GUIs. Really? Is anybody looking to build an app using either
Netbeans or Eclipse RCP really going to consider FX as an option. I
doubt it. So FX is not going to be used to build any of those GUIs. On
the other end of the spectrum, for small lightweight web apps, you
have Flex in an entrenched position. From what I've read it seems to
work pretty well with Java on the back end. Say what you want about
Flex but its fast and it looks good. Those are two things I can't say
about the FX sample apps I've seen. I have to agree with Joe when he
says that the prospect of designers moving over to FX from Flex/Flash
is a pipe dream. Bottom line: we already have DSLs for GUIs. Swing/SWT
for complex apps and Flex for simple apps.

It's just mind-blowing the magnitude of the bet that Sun has made in
what I think we can all agree is a very big gamble. Who sold this idea
to them?

BTW, the one thing that would be interesting: embedding FX inside of
Swing apps is still not available!

-e