And thats the technique I've been using re mouse events and if that's
going to be, and stay, the method for this in the future, then.....
okay.

I've had some success with doing some low level swing event
interception stuff for keyboard stuff in JavaFX 1.0, but I think it
stopped working in 1.2.

I was never comfortable with it, felt like I was way outside the
warranty zone.