Yeah it's confusing, what made them suddenly change their mind? And
doesn't this kinda portrait Coin as a joke (not wanting to touch the
type system, only small changes etc.). It feels like a last minute
180, perhaps an attempt to keep up and not be characterized as a
legacy language? (which the blogosphere has been saturated with the
last couple of years)

/Casper