I thought the guys did pretty well for a heated topic, though they
were probably a little too quick to interrupt each other.

A couple things I found myself shouting back at the radio as I drove:

* To Joe: How do you feel about the many patent suits against Apple
(if you own shares, you get a summary of these every year with the
annual statement). Do you presume that these patents are valid too?
Come to think of it, whatever happened to AT&T's wide ranging suit
over MPEG-4 patents?
* To Tor and Dick: Some of the patents involved seem suitably obvious,
fine.  But what greater standard of ownership is there than the actual
granting of a patent?  You can say "yeah, but" all you like, and
question the competence of the USPTO, but with the patent officially
granted, how can you say the holder neither owns nor deserves it?  The
"we just know" test doesn't hold much legal water.
* To all: on the topic of licensing, it's a shame you didn't bring up
the idea of compulsory licensing. This exists in several fields, such
as music publishing. A composer owns the rights to his or her works,
but must license it in a non-discriminatory fashion for a set price
through one of a handful of agencies. So there's precedent for what
Dick wants. That said, I personally agree with what I think is Joe's
point, that if ownership isn't the right to do with your property as
you see fit, then what is it, and what good is it?  When it comes to
what I own, why should I give a damn about someone else's idea of
"fair"?
* There's s perfectly valid case to be made against software patents.
Lots of smart people take that position.  Tor and Dick seemed to argue
for patent ownership rights so weak, they might be better off
officially taking an anti-patent stance.

Typing this on the iPad. It's going to take some getting used to.  How
much for a little bluetooth keyboard?

-Chris